Arend L. Schwab
I have a bicycle dynamics lab. I'm in theoretical and applied mechanics and I teach mechanics and multibody dynamics. I am interested in Dynamics of Mechanical Systems, the so-called Multibody Dynamics. In particular the treatment of contact phenomena like in collisions and rolling (non-holonomic constraints) have my special interest. I also know more or less about dynamics of flexible multibody system, finite element method, legged locomotion, speed skating and bicycle dynamics and control. My degrees are from Engineering at Dordrecht (BSc 79) and Engineering at Delft (MSc 83, PhD 02).
Personal Information: addresses, relatives, where I've lived, USA contacts, etc... & Season's Greetings!
Schedule, travel dates, detailed itineraries
Want to meet me? Check my Schedule, pick a time and give me a call/email.
Papers, Lecture Notes, etc.
ME41055 (spring 2018) Multibody Dynamics B
ME41050 (fall 2017) Multibody Dynamics A
ME41060 (fall 2017) MATLAB in Engineering Mechanics
wb1216-06 (spring 2013) Dynamica 2, "Mechanical Vibrations"
TAM 674 (spring 2003) Applied Multibody Dynamics
MSc project proposals
- Bicycle and
Motorcycle Dynamics conference collection http://bmdconf.org/
- International Cycle Safety Conference collection http://cyclingsafety.net/
- International 3-day Symposium Bicycle and Motorcycle Dynamics 2016, BMD2016, Sep 21-23 , 2016, University of Milwaukee, WI..
- 5th International 2 day symposium on Cycle Safety, 3-4 Nov 2016, Bologna, ICSC2016.
- Giant-Alpecin team & TU Delft descending analysis at La Plagne, sept 2015.
- Casa Luna, Radio 1, 22 November 2013, Arend Schwab, Fietsonderzoeker.
- My TED talk at TEDxDelft2012 on "Why bicycles do not fall".
- International 3-day Symposium Bicycle and Motorcycle Dynamics 2010, BMD2010, Oct 20-22, 2010, Delft, University of Technology.
- International 3-day Symposium Advances in Contact Mechanics: a tribute to Prof. J.J.Kalker, Oct 22-24, 2008, Delft, University of Technology.
- Joost J. Kalker (1933-2006): a life in rolling contact. Paper and presentation. See also TWI website.
- Kalker, J. J. (1967). On the rolling contact of two elastic bodies in the presence of dry friction. PhD thesis, Delft University of Technology, reprint pdf(4,91MB)
- CADOM, TUDelft software for Synthesis and Analysis of Mechanism.
- Repository on Bicycle Handling Qualities (private).
- Matlab interface to the Postscript Language: pshacker