I have a bicycle dynamics lab. I'm in theoretical and applied mechanics and I teach mechanics and multibody dynamics. I am interested in Dynamics of Mechanical Systems, the so-called Multibody Dynamics. In particular the treatment of contact phenomena like in collisions and rolling (non-holonomic constraints) have my special interest. I also know more or less about dynamics of flexible multibody system, finite element method, legged locomotion, speed skating and bicycle dynamics and control. My degrees are from Engineering at Dordrecht (BSc 79) and Engineering at Delft (MSc 83, PhD 02).
Personal Information: addresses, relatives, where I've lived, USA contacts, etc... & Season's Greetings!
Schedule, travel dates, detailed itineraries
Want to meet me? Check my Schedule, pick a time and give me a call/email.
wb1413-4 (spring 2015) Multibody Dynamics B
wb1310 (fall 2014) Multibody Dynamics A
wb1443 (fall 2014) MATLAB in Engineering Mechanics
wb2630 (fall 2014) Advanced Dynamics Toets 1
io20222(fall2013) Masterclass: Bicycle Dynamics HomeworkAssignment, presentation in pdf format
wb1216-06 (spring 2013) Dynamica 2, "Mechanical Vibrations"
TAM 674 (spring 2003) Applied Multibody Dynamics
MSc project proposals
1 PhD on safety of motorized two-wheelers
International 2 day symposium on Cycle Safety, 18-19 Nov 2014,
- Casa Luna, Radio 1, 22 November 2013, Arend Schwab, Fietsonderzoeker.
- International 2 day symposium on Cycle Safety, 20-21 Nov 2013, Helmond, ICSC2013.
- My TED talk at TEDxDelft2012 on "Why bicycles do not fall".
- 1 day min-symposium Dynamics and Control of Single Track Vehicles, Sep 18, 2012, Delft
- International 3-day Symposium Bicycle and Motorcycle Dynamics 2010, BMD2010, Oct 20-22, 2010, Delft, University of Technology.
- International 3-day Symposium Advances in Contact Mechanics: a tribute to Prof. J.J.Kalker, Oct 22-24, 2008, Delft, University of Technology.
- Joost J. Kalker (1933-2006): a life in rolling contact. Paper and presentation. See also TWI website.
- Kalker, J. J. (1967). On the rolling contact of two elastic bodies in the presence of dry friction. PhD thesis, Delft University of Technology, reprint pdf(4,91MB)
- CADOM, TUDelft software for Synthesis and Analysis of Mechanism.
- Repository on Bicycle Handling Qualities (private).
- Matlab interface to the Postscript Language: pshacker